RACE FOR THE CURE® SPECIAL 25TH ANNIVERSARY ANNOUNCEMENT!
WICHITA, Kan - 11/14/2013 - The Kansas Affiliate of Susan G. Komen ® announced today that the 2014 Wichita Race for the Cure will move to downtown Wichita. This is the 25th Anniversary of the Race for the Cure in Wichita and will be a very special event. The Race will be on Saturday, September 27, 2014. The Race will start and end at Waterwalk, 515 S. Main, Wichita KS.
“We are excited to announce that the 2014 Wichita Race for the Cure – our 25th anniversary race will be downtown. We are very grateful to Towne East Square and the City of Eastborough for hosting us for as long as they did. We believe that the new location will offer new opportunities for growth” said Lindsay Smith, Susan G. Komen Kansas Affiliate Executive Director. “ This year we were able to make more than $345,000 in community grants for screening, education and community outreach for people in Kansas who desperately need our help. We want our community grants to continue to grow and the Wichita Race is our largest fundraiser.”
“We are excited as part of their 25th anniversary, the Komen Race for the Cure has made the decision to expand and grow in the heart of our city, and that they are partnering with another great Downtown event such as the Wichita Wagonmaster’s Downtown Chili Cookoff. Downtown is the place we come together as a community, and it’s a great place to come together for this very important cause.”
About Susan G. Komen for the Cure® and the Komen Kansas Affiliate
Nancy G. Brinker promised her dying sister, Susan G. Komen, she would do everything in her power to end breast cancer forever, and in 1982, that promise became Susan G. Komen for the Cure. The Kansas Affiliate is part of the world’s largest and most progressive grassroots network fighting breast cancer. Through events like the Komen Wichita Race for the Cure, the Kansas Affiliate has invested $3.5 million in community breast cancer programs in 95 counties in Kansas. Up to 75 percent of net proceeds generated by the Affiliate stays in Kansas]. The remaining 25 percent funds national breast cancer research. For more information, call 316-683-8510 or visit www.komenmidks.org.